Monday 5 November 2012

3 Nov - Reigate Priory Relays

Annual event, 2.8 miles.

I was on first leg, took it fairly easy for first mile and settled into my pace. Spikes were too short and so I couldnt get traction at the start, tried to keep within 20 meters of the leaders following the mistake last week at the Gibb.

Felt pretty relaxed and strong out at the back, stayed with the leaders up the first part of the hill, as it turned right and steepened I backed off the pace, got taken by a couple of people up the hill but just stayed at my pace. Coming off the top of the hill I opened up my stride and settled into a good pace, found myself overtaking everyone and catching the 30m up to the leaders.

We dropped down into the steep gulley and without trying I took the lead, wasn't intentional and so I just ort of went with it. In retrospect I didnt attack hard enough on that downhill, my plan was to just hang on until the sprint finish and so I hadnt planned for taking the lead, once I took the lead I should have gone at max effort and opened a gap.

Once I was in the lead I felt pretty good so kept pushing very hard, came out of the woods into the field and tried to get my head down for 2 minutes, I was at absolute max effort and as we hit the rise I had nothing.

Ben Tyler beat me with:

BT - 13.40 mins
 RE - 13.42 mins

Joint second place, 2009 I was 39th so very pleased, I know I have more, ITB was pretty well behaved.


No comments: