Wednesday 26 September 2012

22 Sept - Bike - ACC training group (1st)

Ride out with Addiscombe, decided to attempt the training group.

Went with the attitude of no matter how I felt I would always say yes. What a difference it made, first part was OK up to Merstham, Matt kept the pace pretty regular which helped a lot.

Got dropped on the Steps but ruined myself over the top of the hill to catch up, got caught by two sets fo lights but just as I'd given up saw the group ahead, went hard and caught them just after the high street.

Sat in the middle back of the group with difficulty but not out of control, pace slowly increased and I found every single hill I would lose some ground and then have to fight back on. Stayed in Dans wheel towards the back. Just after Newdigate the group reduced a bit so I ended up hanging off the back, held on to Rusper Hill. First part of the hill I got dropped but took 2 deep breaths, shut my eyes and sprinted back to the group. Held on to close to the top of the second part of the hill then flew off the back. Tried the deep breath sprinting again but nothing happened, looked down and I was doing 46km per hour just off the back on my own. Got dropped fully but kept the pressure on to the through and off.

Managed to catch up before the through and off, did two cycles and then decided if I stayed in I would get dropped. Sat on the back floowing the rider in front then dropping back to the left. I was on the limit all of the way, got dropped once but managed to hang on and catch up at some oppurtune lights. Hung on all the way to the Charlwood sprint, tried to come through to the front but the legs were gone.

Cycled back with Matt at a very hard pace, think we averaged about 23mph home. Got dropped a couple of times but could hold the pace once Matt waited so recovery was no issue.

Hardest I've tried on a bike and most I've suffered, loved it.

ITB not great afterwards.

No comments: