Monday 4 October 2010

2nd Oct - Run (Gibb 5 mile XC)

SLH 5 mile champs.

New Matt was out to beat me so thought I would push hard from the start, open up a gap and then hang on for dear life. Average heart rate for first 2 miles was 192bpm!!

Got to the first hill and just red-lined, not been doing that much aerobic work so just didnt have it in my lungs. HR got up to 207 bpm which is a new PB!

Stuart Major took me on the hill which was expected, I had a gap of about 100m over Matt but just lost it up there, Matt caught me up and sounded ruined, in retrospect I should have pushed on but I really did have very little left in the tank. Let Matt dictate the pace for about 2 miles which was again a mistake.

Sprinted with about 500m to go but hadnt left enough time, last 100m Matt cut me up into a bush so lost the sprint!!

Lessons Learnt: 190 bpm is the maximum I can maintain and really I should aim to stay on about 185. If someone has worked hard to catch me up then I need to push on no matter how much it hurts as they have had to struggle to get to me. I am a good runner but not a sprinter so MUST NOT let it come to a sprint.

3rd place overall which meant my first ever prize money!

Knee still sore.

No comments: