Tuesday 28 September 2010

26th Sept - Windfarmer Triathlon

Windfarmer Triathlon at Lydd.

Water temperature was very very cold, hands, feet and face were numb by the end. Managed to stay just off the lead group for first 600m, turned the buoy and hit some big waves which put me off quite a bit. I don't usually mind rough water but it slowed me down so much. Lost a couple of places in the final 600m, trying to push hard but my muscles just were not up for it with the cold. Pretty disappointed with the swim although 10th out of the water isnt bad! but I def could have gone 3 mins faster at least if warmer.

T2 was slow but I always planned for that as I needed to get my base layer on over the top of my trisuit (too cold to risk not wearing it).

Bike without doubt was my weakest area, I just do not try hard enough. averaged 20mph but heart rate was not elevated at all and I wasn't even out of breath. The wind was very strong but thats no excuse. Total time was 1:15 with the fastest (Matt) being 1:01. I need to find at least 10 minutes for next season. Think the majority of this can come from holding a higher threshold rather than more power so that is going to be my focus for the winter, sustained, hard efforts.

T2 was excellent however I forgot my helmet which cost 15 seconds and was so unavoidable.

Run was tough, my feet were completely numb for the first 8km to the point that all I could feel was my ankles and nothing below. Tried to hold a relatively high pace but the majority of the time I was on my own so difficult to pace myself. Increased my pace throughout the run rather than going off hard which gave me a much more relaxed and probably faster pace. Got the fastest run time of the day but to be honest felt very slow, not sure how that works!

Swim: 28:53
T1: 2.07
Bike: 1:15:18
T2: 0.50
Run: 35:58
Total: 2:23

The race wa a PB but to be honest I am not happy with the result, I know I can go 10 minutes faster if I can just maintain the effort in bike and swim. Came 14th Overall and 2nd in age category so not too bad but plenty to be working on!

No comments: